Publications in 2014-2015
Publications, July 1, 2014 - June 30, 2015
- Allen-Daniels, M.J., Serrano, M.G., Pflungner, L.P., Fettweis, J.M., Prestosa, M.A., Koparde, V.N., Brooks, J.P., Strauss, III, J.F., Romero, R., Chaiworapongsa, T., Eschenbach, D.A., Buck, G.A., and Jefferson, K.K. (2015) "Identification of a Gene in Mycoplasma hominis Associated with Preterm Birth and Microbial Burden in Intra-amniotic Infection," American Journal of Obstetrics & Gynecology, 212, online ahead of print.
- Boone, E. L., Merrick, J. R. W. and Krachey, M. (2014) "A Hellinger distance approach to MCMC diagnostics," J. Stat. Comp. and Sim, Vol. 84, Nos. 4, 833-849.
- Coleman, J. A., Ingram, K., Bays, A., Joy-Gaba, J. A., and Boone, E.L. (2015) "Disability and Assistance Dog Implicit Association Test: A novel IAT," Rehabilitation Psychology. 60(1), 17–26.
- Brooks, J.P., Edwards, D.J., Harwich, Jr., M.D., Rivera, M.C., Fettweis, J.M., Serrano, M.G., Reris, R.A., Sheth, N.U., Huang, B., Girerd, P., The Vaginal Microbiome Consortium (additional members), Strauss, J.F., III, Jefferson, K.K., and Buck, G.A. (2015) "The Truth about Metagenomics: Quantifying and Counteracting Bias in 16S rRNA Studies," BMC Microbiology, 15, 66.
- Brooks, J.P., Fettweis, J.M., Serrano, M.G., Girerd, P.H., Edwards, D.J., Strauss, J.F., Buck, G.A., Jefferson, K.K. (2014) "Differences in the vaginal microbiome and bacterial vaginosis in women of African versus European ancestry," Microbiology, 160, 2272-2282.
- Brooks, J.P., and Lee, E.K. (2014) "Solving a Mixed Integer Programming-Based Constrained Discrimination Model," INFORMS Journal on Computing, 26, 567-585.
- Chen, Y., Wang, Q. and Yao, W. (2015) "Adaptive estimation for varying coefficient models," Journal of Multivariate Statistics, 137, 17-31.
- Edwards, D.J., Weese, M.L. and Palmer, G.A. (2014) "Comparing Methods for Design Follow-up: Revisiting a Metal-Cutting Case Study," Applied Stochastic Models in Business and Industry, 30, 464-478.
- Fettweis, J.M., Brooks, J.P., Serrano, M.G., Sheth, N.U., Girerd, P.H., Edwards, D.J., Strauss, J.F., III, the Vaginal Microbiome Consortium, Jefferson, K.K., and Buck, G.A. (2014) "Differences in Vaginal Microbiome in African American Women versus Women of European Ancestry," Microbiology, 160, 2272-2282.
- Fettweis, J.M., Serrano, M.G., Huang, B., Brooks, J.P., Glascock, A.L., Sheth, N.U., Vaginal Microbiome Consortium, Strauss, J.F., Jefferson, K.K., and Buck, G.A. (2014) "An Emerging Mycoplasma Associated with Trichomoniasis, Vaginal Infection and Disease," PLOS ONE, 9(10), e110943.
- Fukasawa, R., He, Q., and Song, Y. (2014) "Energy Minimization Capacitated Vehicle Routing Problems," Accepted for publication, Transportation Science.
- Huang, B., Fettweis, J.M., Brooks, J.P., Jefferson, K.K., and Buck, G.A. (2014) "The Changing Landscape of the Vaginal Microbiome," Clinics in Laboratory Medicine, 34, 747-761.
- The Integrative HMP Research Network Consortium (including Edwards, D.J. and Brooks, J.P.) (2014) "The Integrative Human Microbiome Project: Dynamic Analysis of Microbiome-Host Omics Profiles during Periods of Human Health and Disease," Cell Host and Microbe, 16(3), 276-289.
- Ly, C. (2014) "Dynamics of Coupled Noisy Neural Oscillators with Heterogeneous Phase Resetting Curves," SIAM Journal on Applied Dynamical Systems, 13, 1733—1755.
- Merrick, J. R. W, Butler, J. C., Morrice, D. J. (2015) "Using Multiattribute Utility Theory to Avoid Bad Outcomes by Focusing on the Best Systems in Ranking and Selection," Accepted by Journal on Simulation, available online from February 27, 2015.
- Merrick, J. R. W., Leclerc, P. (2014) "Modeling Adversaries in Counter-terrorism Decisions Using Prospect Theory," Appeared in early view for Risk Analysis. Article first published online: 14 JUL 2014.
- Song, Y., Luedtke, J., and Kucukyavuz, S. (2014) "Chance-constrained Packing Problems," INFORMS Journal on Computing, 26(4), 735-747.
- Song, Y. and Luedtke, J. (2015) "An Adaptive Partition-based Approach for Solving Two-stage Stochastic Programs with Fixed Recourse," Accepted for publication, SIAM Journal on Optimization.
- Song, Y. and Zhang, M. (2015) "Chance-Constrained Multi-Terminal Network Design Problems," Accepted for publication, Naval Research and Logistics.
- Vanee, N., Brooks, J.P., Spicer, V., Krokhin, O., Wilkins, J.A., Deng, Y., and Fong, S.S. (2014) "Proteomics-based Metabolic Model and Metabolic Characterization of the Cellulolytic Bacterium Thermobifida fusca," BMC Systems Biology, 8, 86.
- Wang, Q. and Wu, R. (2015) "Semiparametric estimation for the time series of count data," Communications in Statistics: Theory and Methods, 44, 983-995.
- Wang, Q., Yin, X. and Critchley, F. (2015) "Dimension reduction based on Hellinger integral," Biometrika, 102, 95-106.
- Weese, M.L., Smucker, B.J., and Edwards, D.J. (2015) "Searching for Powerful Supersaturated Designs," Journal of Quality Technology, 47(1), 66-84.
- Wilson, S. R., Leonard, R. D., Edwards, D. J., Swieringa, K. A., and Murdoch, J. L. (2015) "Model Specification and Confidence Intervals for Voice Communication," Quality Engineering. In Press.
- Young, T.M., León, R.V., Chen, C.H., Chen, W., Guess, F.M., Edwards, D.J. (2015) "Robustly Estimating Lower Percentiles when Observations are Costly," Quality Engineering. In Press.
Reports and Proceedings, July 1, 2014 - June 30, 2015
- Hess, E.J. and Brooks, J.P. (2015) "The Support Vector Machine and Mixed Integer Linear Programming: Ramp Loss SVM with L1-Norm Regularization," Proceedings of the 14th INFORMS Computing Society Conference, Richmond, VA, 2015.
- Reris, R.A., and Brooks, J.P. (2015) "Principal Component Analysis and Optimization: A Tutorial," Proceedings of the 14th INFORMS Computing Society Conference, Richmond, VA, 2015.
- Song, Y. and Dinh, T. (2014) "Optimal Containment of Misinformation in Social Media: A Scenario-based Approach," Proceedings of CSoNet’14, Lecture Notes in Computer Science.
- Stewart-Koster, B., Boone, E.L. and Sheldon F. (2014) "Statistical Investigation for Optimisa- tion of the Healthy Waterways Ecosystem Health Monitoring Program," Report to the Healthy Waterways Partnership, South-East Queensland.
Books and Chapters, July 1, 2014 - June 30, 2015
- Merrick, J. R. W., LeClerc, P., Trenkov, H., Olsen, R. (2015) "Outthinking the Terrorists," Breakthroughs in Risk Analysis, Anthony Cox (Ed), Wiley.
Publications in 2013-2014
Publications, July 1, 2013 - June 30, 2014
- Boyce, R. W., Willett, T. K., Jones, G. R. and Boone E. L. (2014) "Race Comparisons in Police Officer Bench Press Strength over 12.5 Years," International Journal of Exercise Science, 7(2), Article 5.
- Edwards, D. J. and Brooks, J. P. (2014) "Alternative Foldover Plans for Two-Level Nonregular Designs," Communications in Statistics – Simulation and Computation, 43(1), 209-224.
- Edwards, D. J., Guess, F. M., León, R. V., Young, T. M., and Crookston, K. A. (2014) "Improving Estimates of Critical Percentiles by Induced Censoring," Reliability Engineering and System Safety, 123, 47-56.
- Edwards, D. J. and Kelly, K. M. (2014) "Selecting a D-optimal Follow-Up Design Among Candidate Choices," Quality Engineering, 26, 233-245.
- Edwards, D. J. (2014) "Follow-up Experiments for Two-Level Fractional Factorial Designs Via Double Semifoldover," Metrika, 77,483-507.
- Ly, C. (2013) "A Principled Dimension-Reduction Method for the Population Density Approach to Modeling Networks of Neurons with Synaptic Dynamics," Neural Computation, 25, 2682-2708.
- Merrick, J. R. W., and Grabowski, M. (2013) "Decision Performance and Safety Performance: A Value Focused Thinking Study in the Oil Industry," Articles in Advance of Decision Analysis.
- Pakyz, A., Jawahar, R., Wang, Q. and Spencer, H. (2014) "Medication risk factor associated with healthcare-associated clostridium diffcile infection: a multilevel model case control study among 64 US academic medical centers," Journal of Antimicrobial Chemotherapy, 69, 1127-1131.
- Seref, O., Brooks, J. P., and Fong, S. S. (2013) "Decomposition of Flux Distributions into Metabolic Pathways," IEEE/ACM Transactions on Computational Biology and Bioinformatics, 10, 984-993.
- Seref, O., Chaovalitwongse, W. A., and Brooks, J. P. (2014) "Relaxing Support Vectors for Classification," Annals of Operations Research, 216, 229-255.
- Shen, J., Gallagher, C., and Lu, Q. (2014) "Detection of Multiple Undocumented Change-points Using Adaptive Lasso," Journal of Applied Statistics, 41, 1161–1173.
- Sismour, E. N., Nellis, S. C., Newton, S. H., Mays, D. P., and Fine, M. L. (2013) "An Experimental Study of the Consumption of Channel Catfish Ictalurus punctatus by Largemouth Bass Micropterus salmoides when Alternative Prey Are Available," Copeia, 2, 277-283.
- Song, Y. and Luedtke, J. (2013) "Branch-and-cut Approaches for Chance-constrained Formulations of Reliable Network Design Problems," Mathematical Programming Computation, 5(4), 397-432.
- Srinivasan, S., Sorrell, T. P., Brooks, J. P., Edwards, D. J., and Diehl, R. L. (2013) "Workforce Assessment Method for an Urban Police Department: An Analytics Approach to Estimate Patrol Staffing," Policing: An International Journal of Police Strategies & Management, 36(4), 702-718.
- Wang, Q. and Wu, R. (2013) "Shrinkage estimation of partially linear single-index models," Statistics and Probability Letters, 83, 2324-2331.
- Zreikat, H. H., Harpe, S. E., Stattum, P. W., Mays, D. P., Essah, P. A., and Cheang, K. I. (2014) "Effect of Renin-Angiotensin System Inhibition on Cardiovascular Events in Older Hypertensive Patients with Metabolic Syndrome," Metabolism: Clinical and Experimental, 63(3): 392-399.
Reports and Proceedings, July 1, 2013 - June 30, 2014
- Merrick, J. R. W. (2013) "Aggregation of Forecasts from Multiple Simulation Models," Proceedings the 2013 Winter Simulation Conference.
- Nobles M. A., Sego L. H., Cooley S. K., Gosink L. J., Anderson R.M., Hays S. E., and Tardiff M. F. (2013) "A Decision Theoretic Approach to Evaluate Radiation Detection Algorithms," Proceedings of the 2013 IEEE International Conference on Technologies for Homeland Security. 683-686.
- Van Dorp, J. R., and Merrick, J. R. W. (2013) "Vessel Traffic Risk Assessment (VTRA): Preventing Oil Spills from Large Ships and Barges In Northern Puget Sound & Strait of Juan de Fuca," Report to the Puget Sound Partnership.
- Watkins, W. T., Song, W. Y., Merrick, J. R. W., Weiss, E., Hugo, G. D., Siebers, J. (2013), "Multi-criteria optimization for real-time planning of lung cancer radiotherapy," Proceedings of the American Association for Physicists in Medicine Annual Meeting.
Books and Chapters, July 1, 2013 - June 30, 2014
- Boone, E. L., Simmons, S. J. and Ricanek, K. (2013) "A Restricted Model Space Approach for the Detection of Quantitative Trait Loci using Markov Chain Monte Carlo Model Composition", Lecture notes in Communications in Computer and Information Sciences, Filipe J and Fred A Eds.. Volume 271, pp 101-114, Springer Berlin Heidelberg.
- Hays, S., Shen, H. and Huang, J. (2013) "Applications of Functional Dynamic Factor Models", in Topics in Applied Statistics: 2012 Symposium of the International Chinese Statistical Association, eds. Mingxiu Hu, Yi Liu, and Jianchang Lin, Springer Science+Business Media: New York, 23-38.
- Sabo, R. and Boone, E.L. (2013) Statistical Research Methods, A Guide for Non-Statisticians, Springer, New York, ISBN 978–1–4614–8707–4.
- Street IV, W. S., Mays, J. E., and Johnson, R. E. (2014) A Guide to Statistical Thinking, 6th edition, W. H. Freeman and Company.
Publications in 2012-2013
Publications, July 1, 2012 - June 30, 2013
- Altner, D.S. and Brooks, J.P. (2012) "Coverings and matchings in r-partite hypergraphs," Networks, 59:349-410.
- Boone, E.L., Merrick, J.R.W. and Krachey, M. (2012) "A Hellinger distance approach to MCMC diagnostics," Journal of Statistical Computational and Simulation.
- Brooks, J.P. (2012) "The Court of Appeals of Virginia uses Integer Programming and Cloud Computing to Schedule Sessions," Interfaces, 42:544-553.
- Brooks, J.P., Burns, W.P., Fong, S.S., Gowen, C.M., and Roberts, S.B. (2012) "Gap detection for genome-scale constraint-based models," Advances in Bioinformatics, Article ID 876976, 10 pages.
- Brooks, J.P. and Dula, J.H. (2013) "The L1-norm best-fit hyperplane," Applied Mathematics Letters, 26:51-55.
- Brooks, J.P., Dula, J.H., and Boone, E.L. (2013) "A pure L1-norm principal component analysis," Computational Statistics and Data Analysis, 61:83-98.
- Bullene, R.E., Brooks, J.P., Boone, E.L., Lipchin, C., Sorrell, T.P., Stewart, C.R. (2013) "Uncertainty Quantification for a Middle East Water Supply System," Journal of Water Resources Planning and Management, 139:223-234.
- Edwards, D.J., León, R.V., Young, T.M., Guess, F.M., and Crookston, K.A. (2012) "Comparison of Two Wood Plastic Composite Extruders Using Bootstrap Confidence Intervals on Measurements of Sample Failure Data," Quality Engineering, 25(1):23-33.
- Fettweis, J.M., Serrano, M.G., Sheth, N.U., Mayer, C.M., Glascock, A.L., Brooks, J.P., Jefferson, K.K. (2012) "Species-Level Classification of the Vaginal Microbiome, Vaginal Microbiome Consortium, and GA Buck," BMC Genomics, 13:S17.
- Hays, S., Shen, H. and Huang, J. (2012) "Functional Dynamic Factor Models with Application to Yield Curve Forecasting," Annals of Applied Statistics 6(3):870–894.
- LaRosa, P.S., Brooks, J.P., Deych, E., Boone, E.L., Edwards, D. J., Wang, Q., Sodergen, E., Weinstock, G., and Shannon, W. D. (2012) "Hypothesis Testing and Power Calculations for Taxonomic-Based Human Microbiome Data," PLOS ONE, 7(12):e52078.
- Lu, Q. and Wang, X.L. (2012) "An Extended Cumulative Logit Model for Detecting a Shift in Frequencies of Sky-cloudiness Conditions," Journal of Geophysical Research Atmospheres, 117:1-11.
- Sheldon, F, Petersen, E, Boone, E.L., Rolls, R., Leigh, C., Bunn, S. and Harch, B. (2012) "Identifying the spatial scale of land use that most strongly influences overall river ecosystem health score," Ecological Applications, 22:2188–2203.
- Stewart-Koster, B., Boone, E.L., Kennard, M.J., Sheldon, F., Bunn, S.E., Olden, J.D. (2013) "Incorporating ecological principles into statistical models for the prediction of species’ distribution and abundance," Ecography. 36:342-353.
- The Human Microbiome Consortium (Brooks, J.P. among authors) (2012) "Structure, function and diversity of the human microbiome in an adult reference population," Nature, 486:207-214.
- The Human Microbiome Consortium (Brooks, J.P. among authors) (2012) "A framework for human microbiome research," Nature, 485:215-221.
- Van Dorp, J.R. and Merrick, J.R.W. (2012) "Vessel Traffic Risk Assessment (VTRA): Updating the 2005 VTRA GW/VCU MTS Simulation Model from VTOSS 2005 to VTOSS 2010 data". Report to the Makah Tribal Council.
- Yao, W. and Wang, Q. (2013) "Robust variable selection through MAVE," Computational Statistics and Data Analysis, 63:42-49.
Reports and Proceedings, July 1, 2012 - June 30, 2013
- Parnell, G., Burk, R. C., Merrick, J. R. W. (2013) "Intelligent Adversary Modeling of Homeland Security Networks". Proceedings of the 2013 Industrial and Systems Engineering Research Conference, A. Krishnamurthy and W.K.V. Chan, eds., San Juan, Puerto Rico, June 2013.
Books and Chapters, July 1, 2012 - June 30, 2013
- Hays, S., Shen, H., and Huang, J.Z., (2012) "Topics in Applied Statistics: 2012 Symposium of the International Chinese Statistical Association," Springer Proceedings in Mathematics and Statistics.
- Miller, J. and Street, W.S. IV. (2013) "Instructor’s Solution Manual and Test Bank for Moore and Notz’s STATISTICS: Concepts and Controversies", 8e, by W.H. Freeman and Company. ISBN: 1-4292-7760-2.
- Street, W.S. IV (2013) "Instructor’s Test Bank for use with Moore/Notz: STATISTICS: Concepts and Controversies", 8e, by W.H. Freeman and Company. Software (CD-ROM & Blackboard). ISBN: 1-4292-7909-5.